Business organizations focus on productivity, which is key to generating profits for business, and among various factors that contribute to productivity, equipment maintenance is one of the most important ones. Machines can go wrong at any moment if not appropriately maintained, and the only way to reduce equipment downtime is to have a preventive maintenance plan in place and implement it religiously. It consists of creating a maintenance calendar and schedules for attending to each equipment so that early detection of problems helps to avoid equipment breakdown. It also ensures equipment safety that contributes to creating a safe workplace that improves productivity.
A preventive maintenance plan is quite complex and implementing and monitoring it continuously is a task that is almost impossible to do correctly by manual means. To effectively implement a preventive maintenance program, organizations are relying on safety and preventative software for businesses that helps in efficient planning, organizing, tracking, and analysis of all the jobs done by the maintenance manager and his team. The software creates and manages the network necessary for efficiently implementing the maintenance plan while making it visible for the entire organization.
There are many types of preventive maintenance software from the simple to the sophisticated, which come in varied features but serve the same goal. The choice of software depends on the areas of application. Some basic software can help manage work orders and work requests. In contrast, some advanced software can handle more complex exercises by documenting and managing the entire gamut of maintenance operations right from inventory to reporting.
The purpose of using maintenance software
- Downtime reduction – By following a plan for equipment maintenance, you can ensure that all equipment is always in running condition with the least chances of breakdown, and there are never any issues with equipment availability. As a result, equipment utilization will be maximum, which in turn boosts productivity. Well maintained equipment extends its life and helps to cut waste and reduce rework.
- Safe workplace – The software tracks, records, and helps to manage incidents at the workplace, thereby keeping a tab on the safety level. Establishing health and safety SOPs, keeping track and maintaining a record of compliance as well as its verification and managing audit documents and permits are some other aspects addressed by the software.
- Cost control – When every equipment is under scrutiny, it becomes easy to streamline the inventory of spare parts and reduce purchases. Due to fewer incidents of breakdown, labor costs are also less. As the software maintains the complete history of every equipment, it enables tracking and managing warranty costs.
- People and process management – Organizing assets as well as work orders and documents, creating maintenance schedule and labor, reducing the time taken for administrative work, and providing more insights into vendor relationships are some of the other contributions of preventive maintenance software.
- Organizing information – The software generates various reports that users can customize to match with their workflow and processes. Creating an asset history in detail helps to analyze and track equipment performance that not only contributes to productivity but also helps to identify equipment that needs replacement. Besides, you can also track various maintenance metrics and KPIs.
- Preventive maintenance co-ordination – You can use the software to standardize preventive tasks and use condition monitoring sensors. The best part is that you will receive alerts as the software would trigger maintenance events.
Here are some more details about what the software can do for you.
Using preventive maintenance software helps to build a transparent system by making all information available across the internet that allows managers to access data remotely and exercise better control on the assets. It also enables better monitoring of maintenance work by gathering real-time information anytime, and from anywhere that enhances operational efficiency.
The work order management system is the most prominent feature of the software that does away with manual methods of creating and implementing the maintenance plan and provides a more robust system for recording, tracking, and managing work orders. Since work orders are the backbone of the maintenance operations, the system will enable to handle heavy workflows with ease.
The software comes with a reporting module that can generate reports that are not only meaningful but easy to understand. It becomes easy to spot opportunities for improvement and identify trends that provide better control over the tasks in hand. You will have better insights about equipment performance that you gather from the reports and even stay abreast about work order completion status. By using the reports, maintenance managers can keep track of material usage and employee productivity.
Preventive maintenance is different from any other maintenance job because it takes a pro-active approach in monitoring equipment to detect possible failures in advance so that you can plan for avoiding it. The plan consists of creating a schedule for maintaining equipment at regular intervals to ensure that all equipment is always in working condition. The software helps to create the plan and schedule as well as monitor it so that equipment stays in good shape and saves the cost arising from equipment failure.
The software comes with an inventory management module that accounts for all spares and parts purchased and used for equipment maintenance. It helps to streamline the inventory by setting re-ordering levels that avoid overstocking and saves costs.
The purchasing module of the software complements the inventory module. It enables users to integrate the two so that the system automatically generates a purchase order for spares as soon as the inventory touches the re-ordering level.
The asset module of the software does away with the manual asset register and saves enormous time besides providing an accurate record of assets, including its history and location. All information about assets from the time of purchase through its use, including warranty information, codes, parts, and procedures are readily available.
Consider the level of functionality that the software offers before deciding to use it because it must match with the organizations systems and procedures as well as the maintenance goals.