Whenever you think of uplifting your computer’s performance, a general thought to increase RAM passes through the mind. Although it is true that upgrading RAM would result in better system performance. However, the problem arises when your computer doesn’t have any vacant port to deploy a RAM stick. This is when you can try to make a USB RAM stick on your own.
Improving your computer’s performance has a lot to do with the RAM working for it, which you can upgrade by converting a USB flash drive into RAM. You heard it right! You can convert a pen drive into a RAM and uplift your computer’s performance without having to pay for anything.
How to increase RAM with USB flash drive?
When you’re determined to uplift your system performance, increasing RAM is one of the best options. You can use USB as RAM by following the below steps:
- Ensure that the drive is formatted and there’s no data available.
- Plug-in the USB flash drive in the port of your laptop or computer.
- If you have autoplay enabled, you would be able to see an option that says, "Speed Up My System”. This option further lets you enable the ‘ReadyBoost’.
- Now, click the ‘ReadyBoost’ tab.
- If you wish to dedicate the entire space on your USB to be used as RAM, click “Dedicate this device to ReadyBoost".
- In case, you want only a chunk of the drive to be used by “ReadyBoost”, click the Use this device option and move the slider to dedicate the amount of space.
- Then, click on OK
- Now, go to ‘This PC’ or ‘My Computer’ and right-click on the drive letter to choose properties.
- Search for ‘ReadyBoost’ tab and click on it.
- There, click on ‘Dedicate this device to ReadyBoost’. This way, the entire space on the device would be used as RAM. If you wish to partially use the device for ReadyBoost, you may click on the ‘Use this device’ option and select the space you wish to dedicate.
See Also: What is the Windows 11 Release Date
How to use pen drive as RAM manually?
In case, you’re facing issues with ReadyBoost or the feature isn’t there for some reason, you may still create your USB RAM stick by following the below steps:
- Plug-in the flash drive and do a right-click on ‘My Computer’ to select ‘Properties’.
- Now, select the ‘Advanced’ tab on the top.
- Click ‘Settings’ in the ‘Performance’ section to avail more options.
- A new ‘Performance Options’ window opens up. Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Now, click on the ‘Change...’ button that appears in the ‘Virtual Memory’ section.
IMG SRC: alvistor
- There, uncheck the box against ‘Automatically manage Page Size for all devices.’
- Select your USB drive and define the value under the custom size option.
- Click on ‘Ok’ and you’re done.
Overall, creating a USB RAM stick is not hard when you follow the right steps towards it. It is important to know that the above trick is not a permanent solution to have a better PC. If you wish to get a long-term improvement, you may buy a USB RAM available in the online and offline market. Or, you may consider increasing RAM on your computer’s motherboard. You must ensure that your computer is not facing any other issues like junk files and registry errors.